Skip to main content

My UCAS Personal Statement

Picture clicked by Navish Ghugroo
Good Morning everyone! So today I decided to share my UCAS Personal Statement. I applied to 5 British Universities: The University of Nottingham, University of Southampton, University of Bristol, University of East Anglia (UEA), and the University of Glasgow where I applied for either Social Psychology, Social Policy and Sociology and Neuroscience. I received unconditional admissions to all of them. I won't be making it to any of them, though, firstly because of I haven't received any plausible scholarships from the UK and secondly because I finally decided to have a slight change in the subject course I'm choosing. I have no idea how much a personal statement contributes to UK University Applications Process, but still, there you go:


"The Indian Mythology story-Mahabharata- spun my life around the social dynamics axis at the early age of seven. I have always had a keen interest in how easily society and people can be influenced over a substantial period and how we are all different. My life, as well as the lives of others around me, have been constantly dictated by the social environment and I have always been outspoken, challenging the diversity of ideologies in society in a bid to understand them better. Passive, apathetic and a submissive observer of the complex world that surrounds me are things that I have no means been.

I consider myself fortunate to have been brought up in a partly blasphemous family which taught me to raise above the unconventional, dig deep inside for answers and to never shun away from questioning things. Brought up in an atmosphere where news is dissected more than food in the dining room: politics is the muse of my weekly conversations laden with reflections on governmental policies. Believing that taxes ought to be abolished, my 11-year-old self was gravely disturbed by social inequalities and injustices. I used to see myself as the Prime Minister of our country and I still keep a diary where I jot down ideas I will hopefully implement in our world. Hence, since my early years I have had a strong interest in the world that I live in; wanting to understand where mine and others’ places can be and are in society; not just locally but globally.

However, I wish to explore further the causes and effects of human interactions and I firmly believe I can be a good social scientist. Having studied the natural sciences, I feel I am mature enough to tackle social concepts with an objective, analytical and non-stereotypical outlook.

With a world-renowned education system as well as providing a competitive edge, the United Kingdom is where I want to study. I want to be an international student because I want to visit new places and meet people from various walks of life, engage with them and discover their stories. Actually, my travels have enlightened me to the social plights facing our planet, highlighted when I met little children from India toiling to eek a living. While volunteering for Youth United in Voluntary Action (YUVA) in Mauritius, I was wooed by how they use youth parliamentary sessions to encourage the young community to reflect on local concerns, as well as global social, economic and political issues. Last year as I embarked onto the Model United Nations to win the Best Delegation Award as the Team Leader myself, I became even more versed with debating policies and voicing out my opinions in front of an audience. Ever since, I see my dream of raising awareness about social problems, of educating people about their rights, their opportunities, budding. I have added the 'Because We Care' and 'Us' sections on my blog ‘Our Alter Ego’ to broach issues such as gender inequality, youth participation in community life and administrative suggestions inter alia. In so doing, I feel that I have developed leadership qualities so entrenched towards community good that I always find it painful not to write a letter to concerned authorities to repair water supplies or add speed breakers on the road. I already find myself giving motivational speeches at some informal events. I am also currently working with the NGO Caritas for the alphabetization of underprivileged children and see in it an opportunity to fathom the journey of being part of the social sphere even more. I feel that my interest in human beings didn’t stop here, as I was even ranked 8th at the national level in Biology O Levels. I have also had very consistent results in both Biology and Sociology since my entrance into secondary school being among the top performers.

Studious by nature, to embellish my aptitudes relative to social sciences, I personally indulge in intensive readings of social philosophy sites and have a fetish for Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, and Marx. I draw a lot of inspiration from Maya Angelou, Neale Donald Walsh, Mahatma Gandhi, Emma Watson and Malala Yousafzai for the seeds of change they have planted with different facets of their personalities. I particularly have immense respect for Martin Luther King Jr. as a leader.

I am planning to take Sociology at June’s A level to better grasp some concepts. As for now, I have enrolled in free online courses at FutureLearn and Macat and undertaking a three-month job as Secretary with Caritas.

Fortunately, I'm not only engrossed in the social sciences, arts, and humanities but I like to explore different avenues of the world and interact with people of diverse age groups about photography, gardening, cooking, painting, art of living, meditation, dancing, swimming and acting, thus having an opportunity to develop my communication skills as well as enhance my marketing skills that were praised during the Campus Abroad Educational Fair I participated in recently and for my blog traffic. During the last Placement Tests by the British Council of Mauritius, I was admitted to a Senior Master Class and by being a Student Council Member for the last two years at the most prestigious secondary institution of Mauritius, I was able to develop proactivity and display teamwork in organizing the Sports Day and Music Day each year as well as being the principal bridge between our school and our Alumni and being the one to set up a Debating Club for the school.

People are my passion and studying them and helping to better their world is what comes naturally to me. My compassionate, helpful nature and deep empathy for humans are what convinces me that I will be able to shine as a social scientist, worker-philosopher as well as a counsellor, or leader."

I wrote this personal statement in October 2015 and it is not fully updated. I hope that this helps anyone of you out there. If you have any related questions, feel free to message.

Until next time, 
Be Light,
Much love,







.  .  . 

  DO NOT FORGET TO GIVE A THUMBS UP AND FOLLOW IF YOU LIKED THIS POST.
COMMENT TO LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FOUND IT.
YOU CAN ALSO ADD ME ON MY FACEBOOK PAGE.
IF YOU ARE KIND ENOUGH, PLEASE RECOMMEND AND SHARE TO HELP ME REACH MORE READERS.













Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt