Skip to main content

Complicated Human Sexuality

The following is a transcript of a video published on 12 Oct 2012 in which Hank takes on a topic he's been afraid to cover for a while now. How should we talk about sexuality, what is the difference between sex and gender...and between sexual orientation and sexual behavior. 

It's very interesting...and I think understanding it is a key to decreasing the amount of hate and self-hate out there.

So together, let us understand. 
We are going to start simple. Let’s go down here, in between your legs. That is your sex. Your biological sex. This decides whether you are male, female or intersex.
  

Now we move on up to the top, to the brain, which decides which gender you identify with (Gender Identity) whether you are feminine or masculine, or neither (agender) or both(binary). Because the fascinating thing is that as much as we try to label things, there is no way to label everything on an infinite continuum. And that’s what we are dealing with here.


So, to actually visualize how this works, we have created a graph for you:


We have to redesign the graph here and reposition the plots as per the script and dialogue delivery.
On the X-axis, we have sex, man to woman. And on the Y-axis we have the intensity of the identification with that sex.

I would be about here because I identify with as a man though I recognize that there are some feminine qualities in me. But let’s also put a hypothetical biological female on this side of the graph that identifies very strongly as a man. Now that could be really uncomfortable, especially when there is a bunch of people in the world who insist on calling him a woman just because of the body that he happens to be very uncomfortable with. Which is why sex does not determine the pronoun you should use. Gender does.
  


Now, moving on to your heart. This is who you are attracted to: men, women, all genders. Again, it’s a spectrum and that spectrum includes intensity because there are people who don’t feel strong sexual attraction at all. That’s why asexual is a sexual orientation.
  


Another idea is that of romantic orientation. These are people who you want to have strong intimate relationships with, separating out the idea that sex has to be the endpoint goal.

Now that we have looked about how we feel, let’s see what happens when other people get involved.


That is sexual behavior, which is actually very different from sexual orientation. And that might seem a little bit strange at first but it’s not. Consider for example, a heterosexual priest. That priest’s orientation is heterosexual, but because of his religion, his behavior is celibate. Here we are not talking about the preference, we are talking about the behavior.

Now, built up of all of this, are gender roles. Which are built by society, not individuals.
  


The obvious ones are masculine gender roles, and feminine gender roles. But as all dichotomies are false dichotomies, this one is a spectrum too.

Now that we have sort of gone over all this, it is important to note that every single one of these categories is independent from each other.

So, a biological female can be a man, who only has sex with women, despite the fact that he is attracted to both men and women and feels more comfortable in feminine gender roles.
That may not be the most common combination of these factors, but it is certainly is not weird.

And another important point, people move across these spectrum, sometimes from year to year, sometimes hour to hour. But what is really important is that we trust ourselves and we understand ourselves. And we love and respect ourselves and we grant that same understanding and respect to the people to the people around us. 

Find Video Here:




Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt