Skip to main content

My First Ideological Challenge

Seated in front of our old television set I was perplexed as to how Mam (maternal grandmother) could believe in the mystic creation of the Rama Setu that bridged Sri Lanka and Southern India through the invocation of Indian divinities. It was more valid to me that the big boulders floated on the ocean by the principle of density and because of the civil engineering marvel of an ancient civilization. I was six and timid, but in my eyes was a glint marking my first instance of challenging a normative belief. 

Some five years elapsed and I found myself at the birthday party of a cousin. It was just like any other family dinner: everyone talking politics until blasphemous Tata (maternal grandfather) mentioned some irrational rituals conducted by a priest Mam had called for a house prayer. That, of course, irritated my grandmother but titillated me to pronounce the following: “Those priests work only for money, they don’t even explain us anything. Tata is speaking true, why do we even have to do all these rituals? I used to love God as one of my many imaginary friends, but now some ask me to fast, to make sacrifices and a whole bunch of illogical limitations that no friend of mine would want me to bear! Society tends to make people think this God of theirs, gets angry if not served and pleased and that he will throw his wrath on us and punish us severely! Muslims and Arya Samadists are so more spiritual, they don’t need any idols to have faith like us Hindus!” I lucidly remember the pin-drop silence that followed.  Since the dispute between family members of the different religious following as to how to conduct my great grandfather’s final rites, I had been wanting to bring up religion on the table.

Since then, I no longer visited the local temple with my cousins and urged people I met to understand that merely praying is not enough to be a devotee; the knowledge of the Vedas and the Upanishads is also important. My room went cynically free of God’s pictures and idols. I no longer celebrated festivals and paid no importance to superstitions. I leafed through the Bhagavad Gita, the Qur’an and The Bible to shoot a string of queries to our family priest, relying more on a process of self-education and good guidance. I made of my life, a living testimony of how I wanted to challenge religion.

Towards the end of my freshmen exams, when my identity crisis and existential dilemma were at their peak, ‘Conversations with God’ by Neale Donald Walsch paved its way into my life, introducing me to the spirituality embedded within religion.

I believe I have been able to a humble extent decipher and interpret religion as a profound philosophy, science and art of living rather than a blind faith. I came to know that my questions such as “Where we come from? Who created the Universe?” had no foundations earlier. That is why they never had any answers. The answers didn't belong to religion to formulate. The answers had always lied deep within me. And it is religion entwined with spirituality and science that taught me this. 
Thus, I did not dither in challenging, much queerly, my own beliefs again.

I feel that we should question our beliefs perpetually for unexamined beliefs spawn no further questions or opportunities to grow into the grandest version that we might have ever conceived of ourselves.

In Margaret Thatcher’s words, "I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone just to sit there and agree with me, that's not their job." I do not expect myself either to eternally agree with what I currently believe in.

Change and differences are only very natural and I do not feel disparaged to get off my comfort zone to challenge something, learn and inspire myself from it.

Until next time, 
Be Light,
Much love,







.  .  . 

  DO NOT FORGET TO GIVE A THUMBS UP AND FOLLOW IF YOU LIKED THIS POST.
COMMENT TO LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FOUND IT.
YOU CAN ALSO ADD ME ON MY FACEBOOK PAGE.
IF YOU ARE KIND ENOUGH, PLEASE RECOMMEND AND SHARE TO HELP ME REACH MORE READERS.













Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt