Skip to main content

The Theory of Everything






Every year, awards season sees decent films in the nominations section and some add a lot of punch to the judgement. And I think that this time The Theory of Everything is shaping up to be one of them- if not, has already garnered much of just that with Eddie Redmayne's performance 

Not only brilliant but so shockingly perfect it is beyond belief. That's what I have to say on Redmayne's performance.




Two Academy Awards, two BAFTAs, not only one of each, and every other award given for acting, should go to this extraordinary actor, who plays Stephen Hawking, the world's greatest physicist, in his new movie.


The trailer only left me unable to speak. The silence I had was so intense it was a palpable thing..I was overwhelmed.




I was not much stunned by my emotional reaction to the story, but Redmayne's acting: I was barely able to say a word. My throat had closed and I was choked up with feelings. I stayed in a kind of daze. Then I felt tears. I was in awe of the actor. Which lead me to write this article of course. 


What you are reading right now is a draft I had in the 'Waiting to be Published List' for 2 or 3 months now. I'm glad I'm resuming it today, now that the movie has released. Unfortunately not in Mauritius- yet. Hopefully I'll catch that soon overseas.

But coming back to the essence, now that I just watched some Making Ofs,
Eddie Redmayne brings acting genius to this difficult role. He becomes Stephen Hawking, and it is the performance of a lifetime.
Hawking, a brilliant student at Cambridge, was struck down by motor-neuron disease at twenty-three. With the help of his fiance Jane, who married him, he somehow managed to meet the challenge and overcome it. He became a professor at Cambridge, and the world's foremost physicist who has endeavored to explain the universe to us. One of his books, A Brief History Of Time, has sold ten million copies.



The scenes do make you feel like the movie focuses on the personal life of Stephen Hawking and his relationship with his wife rather than solely his accomplishments. It’s an unconventional love story about a relationship that was as complex as it was full of blind hope. It isn’t overly idealistic and it doesn’t try to glamorize the Hawkings’ marriage. It’s far more about the relationships between the characters than the disease itself. The chemistry between Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones is very, very real. *o*.



At the age of 21, he was given a diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, the form of motor neuron disease known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. Yeah- for those who didn't know that's the same disease- you know? the one that made solid water cubes go viral? Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) is the most common of the five types of motor neuron disease. ALS as in: 


Eddie brings such a force of character to the living personality. I understand that his challenge was to portray the world’s perhaps most recognizable genius — possibly the only cosmologist with his own, who is still very much alive with his ALS-ravaged body recognizable to a mass audience through YouTube videos. (To many people, ALS might as well be Stephen Hawking’s disease, not Lou Gehrig’s.)



The extraordinary thing about Redmayne is that in the film he goes from playing Stephen as a handsome student to a crippled man with twisted limbs and a contorted face. And I totally feel my muscles contort tediously thinking about the amount of work that went into perfecting and choreographing each movement of every single muscle of that body!

It is a miracle of acting of the highest order, and from the very beginning of this beautifully-made film we believed that Eddie was Stephen. 



While I think Redmayne is exemplary in recreating Hawking, it’s Felicity Jones’ work as as Jane Hawking that stands out. Her tenderness and inner-conflict isn’t as video-friendly- it does not seep through the screen unless you try guess the emotions. But it synthesizes the emotional impact of Redmayne physical work more than the actor’s own emotions- she's becomes the origin of everything- somehow or probably the other way round. There would be no Jane without Stephen. 



This is one of those MUST SEE films. Don't miss it. Eddie Redmayne is heart-stopping.



Mr. Redmayne, 32, and Ms. Jones, 30, recently chatted over tea at the Crosby Street Hotel in Manhattan. These are excerpts from the conversation.




From The Theory of Everthing's Facebook Page:

A huge congratulations to The Theory of Everything Movie star Eddie Redmayne for winning the Hollywood Breakout Performance Actor Award at the Hollywood Awards!




Happen to watch the movie? Tell us what you think of it in the comment section below.
Share, Like.

Love, God Bless,
I am Aehr.




Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt