Skip to main content

We want a society where everyone is genuine and authentic and rule-following. An ideal society.

She was told not to cross the threshold of her husband’s house. She stepped out, nevertheless, and ended up being rejected by society. The story of Sita’s rejection forms the controversial conclusion of the much-revered Hindu epic Ramayana. She was here restricted. This line is a powerful metaphor for rules. Within the Lakshman-rekha, social rules apply, and Sita is the wife of Ram. Outside it, she is just a woman for the taking. Within, Sita is safe. But when she crosses the line, she is abducted.

But what are Rules?! 
We ought not hurt anyone’s feelings and we should ask permission to borrow other people’s belongings. We should not utter profanities, we need to abide by the school rules and regulations!..Every politician follows the rules, and every bureaucrat follows the rules, and every judge follows the rules. There are many rules to follow! 
Some research I did concluded the following:
The functions of Rules: 
(1) Defending us from evil, 
(2) Promoting the common good-resolving disputes over limited resources, 
(3) Encouraging people to do the right thing.


Up there, the line was drawn to protect Sita from Ravan.

Rules are important for a society for it serves as a norm of conduct for citizens. It was also made to provide for proper guidelines and order upon the behaviour for all citizens and to sustain the equity on the three branches of the government. Rules are important because it keeps the society running. Without laws there would be chaos and it would be survival of the fittest and every man for himself. Not an ideal lifestyle for most part!


Through rules they force everyone to behave in a particular way deemed to be good. It is akin to domesticating farm animals so that they are obedient and productive. And that is good – for the farmer! But is it good for the animals-captivated in the farm for the interest of the Farmer?!
But the animals survive because of the Farmer’s care and nurturing..
But humans are not oxen or horses or dogs. We think. We love rules when we follow them voluntarily. When imposed involuntarily, we resist, but ultimately submit, as submission grants rewards and recognition and keeps away retribution, punishment and rejection.
The assumption in many mindset-especially the crocked ones is that obedience is good. So children who go to the place of worship as prescribed by the scriptures are good. So filmmakers who show stories without gender bias are good.
We want a society where everyone is genuine and authentic and rule-following. An ideal society.
But such a society we will also find boring. Excitement comes from the thrill, the breaking of rules, the subversion, the revolution. We are not supposed to jump off building, but to do so (with a harness) is all what bungee jumping is all about…
Who wants an Ideal Society anyway?!



Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt