Skip to main content

When I grow up, I want to be a..

Good afternoon people,

Today is a beautiful day. I feel that I have understood the difference finally between wanting to become something and wanting to learn about something. And I believe it is essential to understand the difference between these two.
So far, whenever I would be asked as to what I want to do in the future, I would always reply back that I wanted to learn a particular entire field of study without really defining the occupation that comes along.

It took me a pretty long time to realise that. Mostly because, in the society I live in, it’s easier to tell someone that you plan to become a surgeon rather than a sociologist.
Yes, I would usually just say that I wanted to be a sociologist, an anthropologist to be more precise.

But what I come realise today is that I do not entirely want to become just that.

There’s more.
Political science, international relationships.
Sociology, psychology, archaeology.
Bio sociology, neuroscience, psychoanalysis.

I have been quite undecided.

What do I actually want to become?

All I know is that no matter what, I want to do something that makes want to live for the day.
I want to travel the world. A personal mission of mine is to travel around 20 countries in less than 30 years.

I want be a motivational speaker, talk to people, enlighten them, encourage them. I want to be a writer, a columnist- why not? :D I want to counsel people. I want to engage myself with people. I want to interact with them.

I seriously do not see myself working in a cubicle, with tonnes of paper works and business type of atmosphere. I do see myself though as a leader of a small community perhaps Africa or India. Educating kids. Not as the normal teacher-student type of interaction, more like a creative class.

When I think about it, it all sounds like being at the head of an NGO.
Perhaps, that's truly what I am seeking for. But I’m ain’t sure if that’s what you qualify as a job.

So? What does that leave me with? To settle with psychology? I’m not sure if this passionates me as much as society does.
Ermmm There’s no way I’m ever going to stop writing, unless I do. What I know in me is that I’m all for change. But there are certain things that just don’t change: My love for colours or the depiction of them.

I want to live amidst colours, surrounded by paintings, photography, food. Nature. I remember how as a kid I wanted to become a botanist or zoologist. Archaeology is the first ever serious thought I entertained as a job. It all started off when I was 9 years old and ended around the time Genetic Engineering grew on me when I stumbled into my ripe teenage years and I honestly was totally convinced I would bring about the cure to HIV, eliminate the secondary effects of GMOs and what not more.. Ultimately sociology classes kicked in when I turned around 15 and it was love at first sight. There was no other subject I moulded so much in. Sociology was MY subject. Nobody touched that; I had my own personal claim on it.

On the other hand, I don’t want to do a job of a, what is considered to be a ‘meagre’ calibre.
I want to live high. Not because of the money or the fame, but because I want that privilege. Simply. I love myself and my dear ones way too much. 

Whenever I hear my other friends talking there all go like: Study at a good university+ get super grades+ earning lots of money+ build a family, more so with a precision of not more than two children!

To be honest, I don’t give a damn about marriage and children. It makes no difference to me until I’m able to travel and meet new people, keep gorging down their essence, writing about them… I think I truly tentalise the thought an international journalist. Does it sound good if I convert the idea into an international ambassador?  Seems too formal. I want something fun even, not just seriousness.

I don’t give a damn about earning lots of money until I’m able to pull both ends neatly and elegantly.

To be honest… I have been writing this just so I can me as well at least decide once for all as to what I want to become.  I have been planning to google a little bit just so I have a clear idea. I have had this discussion so many times with wonderful people but I’m always left naught at the end.

Even I want to be able to say things like: “I want to a gynaecologist! I want to be an astronaut! I want to be psychiatrist! I want to be a forensics expert! I want to be a software engineer!”

I believe that the field I want to be in in so badly promoted in our society that I have to sense of direction. People always have a definite idea of what doctor does, what a scientist does, what an undercover agent does. They have no idea if society is even studied from a scientific perspective.

Until now, I have been feeling like I have myself introduced myself to the field while the rest of my friends have been guided till there. And while I have to scrutinise carefully to find a role-model, the rest of my friends have plenty of that.

The rarity of my choice makes me misguided I think.


What would you recommend? :P



____________________________________________________________

CAREER INTERESTS

INTEREST LEVEL: 100%Career Category: Social Sciences Careers

Recommended Student Classes:Psychology, sociology, and human relations are beneficial courses to take for a career in the social sciences.Example Careers:Social Science Teacher , Social Worker , Psychologist , Sociologist 

INTEREST LEVEL: 92%Career Category: Education And Training Careers

Recommended Student Classes:Take courses in the subject you want to teach as well as public speaking, computer, and writing classes.Example Careers:Teacher , Guidance Counselor , Librarian , Tutor/Teacher's Aid

INTEREST LEVEL: 92%Career Category: Language And Communications Careers

Recommended Student Classes:Writing, public speaking, computer classes, psychology, and sociology will be beneficial.Example Careers:English, Foreign Language, or Literature Teacher , Technical Writer and Editor , Interpreter/Translator , Public Relations , Marketing and Advertising .

INTEREST LEVEL: 67%Career Category: Math And Engineering Careers

Recommended Student Classes:Rigorous math, science, and computer courses are the most valued.Example Careers:Actuary , Engineer (most) , Software Developer , Financial Advisor , Economist , Statistician , Accountant .

INTEREST LEVEL: 67%Career Category: Visual And Performing Arts Careers

Recommended Student Classes:Writing, public speaking, and art courses are important. Start creating a portfolio or your work.Example Visual Art Careers:Interior Designer, Graphic Designer, Industrial Designer , Photographer, Fashion Designer , Fine Artists, Model/Actor, Makeup Artist or Cosmetologist (hair stylist)



Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt