Skip to main content

Women of Colour

What I'm about to write in this post may be considered as racist by a select few minds. Hopefully, if you intend to read further, you are not one of them.

Don't get me wrong, but I love brown skin. I have brown skin or to put it simply, dark skin. And it took me 20 years before I could feel 'okay' about calling my skin color attractive.

I started loving my skin color when I started to feel attracted to women 'of color' as westerners would place it. But I really learned to take pride in my skin color when I moved abroad.

All those years of self-judging as a young teenager, I certainly felt that appearing fairer would make me prettier. This, even though I don't have anyone in my family or immediate entourage who has ever chastised or ridiculed the darker spectrum of skin color. I must have most undoubtedly picked it up from attending kindergarten where apparently the only pretty girls or boys were the fair ones. Of course, in that context as a child, I often asked myself: Did the world think I was ugly?

Still, I wondered about this throughout my young life. 

But I guess that when you have a gorgeous Mom who endorses her skin color like anything and have aunts who never complained an ounce about wanting to be fairer or have men in your family who promised you that brains mattered more than anything else, these questions didn't get entirely through me.

"You’re beautiful in those bright colors.”
“You catch the light in interesting ways.”


There are many gorgeous light, brown, and dark-skinned women in the media whose examples encouraged me to unconditionally accept my own skin- not that any skin colour needs validation, but I'm not ashamed to admit that as the rest of the world, I have been an impressionable human of this planet as well.

I finally embrace my brown skin that is golden when it is hit by the sun. The skin that sparkles when tickled by the snow is versatile and unique. The blush pinks, the bright colors, and the light eye shadows are for me.

A study at Emory University found that photoshopped pictures of women with tans were deemed more attractive. This is not to condone dangerous tanning practices, but South Asian women are naturally blessed. 

I just feel that a dusky complexion makes a woman look real, achievable and sensuous without looking unattainable and plastic. A dusky looking actress like Sara Jane Dias, Priyanka Chopra, Tannishtha Chatterjee, Diana Penty or Freida Pinto looks earthly and identifiable rather than ethereal or angelic. They have a certain “I am a woman, not an artifact” quality which exudes through their dusky complexion, making them stand out in all fairness.

 There is something about well-moisturized, wheatish-colored skin that makes it look more supple, sexy, younger and flawless as compared to the fairer hue and unexcusably sensuous. The pigment melanin in our skin, that brings the darker color, actually has a number of properties that keeps you healthier than those with lighter skin tone. 

Today people are in a rush to get themselves tanned or obtain a dusky complexion in order to stand out of the crowd and gather attention. 

Some realistic facts about having dark skin:

Darker skin tone does help to hide redness.
People with darker skin have larger fat cushions underneath the skin, making them less prone to wrinkles and aging and are less skin cancer-prone. 

Back home, if somebody said they found western ramps or fashion shows which constantly can only brandish some grayish tone clothing because colors- vivid ones make them look funky, interesting, we all would simply scoff. Have you ever seen the gorgeousness exuding off the stage when a person of colour with the ultimate grace poses or walks a ramp? Those Brazilians, Indians and Africans? Please.


Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt