Skip to main content

Familial Compromises



Your home can become suffocating at times. Since my childhood, each quarter of a year had me feeling disgusted about having a family. Yes, I don't want to go into how I should consider myself fortunate and all the things that come along that make me survive. I'm intending to keep this post thoroughly negative and so will it be. 

I don't really like the idea of eternally or rather continuosly staying with a family. It's restricting, whatever you do is not enough and everything you do is simply wrong. It's so draining, you wouldn't imagine to what extent. I hate how my family is so complicated. We all have some kind of ego to bring forth in every situation. I can otherwise be patient with anything except replying back to them in their face and making my point. I hate being dominated, I hate being ruled, I hate having to make comprises to stay under the same roof with the family.

I have never believed in making comprises, but it's not like I don't make them at all. I get it that all the other members are comprising too, most undoubtedly more than I do. But to be honest, I don't want to give a damn about that. Yes, I enjoy being selfish.

I like to do the houehold chores when it suits me and not necessarily when it is required. I like to eat what I want to eat irrespective of what there is at home or what there is not. Yes, I am a criminal. Hang me now. 

Have you ever heard someone say, "You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours"? That's all about compromise and cooperation. It's the idea that if two or more people each get a little of what they want, then everybody will be happy.Compromise is important to keep in mind while you're living with your family.

Compromise is part of life and part of relationships, and most couples over time become acutely sensitive to each other's likes and dislikes. But it's not the same with a two-generation family or even a three-generation family.

It's easy for the girlfriend or husband to mould themselves to the likings of their partners, but extremely difficult for parents to do the same with the younger generation. Why you ask? Simply because if little Max doesn't like Brocolli, we still need to urge him eat that because he doesn't know anything about life and the good attributes of the green thing. Some years later, when little Max finally develops a hoarse and husky voice and still doesn't like brocolli, we'll he is being difficult and thinks money is growing on trees. The young man is now seen as someone who doesn't value what his parents buy or do for him.

Now replace Max by your partner. Tada, the whole story makes no sense. If my partner doesn't want to eat brocolli, it's simply because he doesn't like it. 

There, the ageism. The child-adult complex.

What I mean to say is that the younger generation will never be old enough to have choice. Unless they are finally independent and leave the roof that tries to manipulate their likes and dislikes because of their patronising behaviours as parents.

Adults can make choices, are allowed to refuse or agree. Kids are meant to be the eternal yes-man.

The most difficult phase strikes during teenagehood. That's when parents are meant to switch from direction-givers to advice-givers but find it very difficult to do so.

What is more, as the younger generation, to continue to make such compromises till probably our twenties, we are ripped off of our emotional health and mental peace. That's what eventually turns us into what we vowed we would never be: Our own parents!

Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt