Skip to main content

Is Majority Rule an Absurdity?


Power has been at different historical periods  vested on one person- the monarchy, then in a minority- the oligarchy and now apparently in a majority- the democracy. Although democracy boasts about protecting the rights and voices of the weak and vulnerable minority, it functions on a pretty astounding electoral system: a pretty humongous 49% of a population votes against the government elected by the remaining 51% can be classified as this 'minority', now voiceless group. In such a line of thought, this apparent majority rule without any doubt is absurd. You may very well claim that democracy is the world's best governmental system but remember it is not the best. 

The law of the majority is justified when a minority oppresses a majority giving rise to discrimination of various types. This can still be traced in the form of racism and not necessarily in history with the Jim Crow System and Apartheid System. In order to put an end to the violation of their rights, the Black majority, led by motions initiated by Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King Jr. among others, must have had power in their hands in order to defend their rights and liberties. But like Mahatma Gandhi remind us through his Satyagraha Mission for Independent India, it is important that the majority do not use the methods of their ex-oppressors since it will only replace evil for evil. 

On thinking deeper, when a political party wins the elections due to reason and competency and not on the basis of religious or ethnic criteria, the majority rule is validated. In this way, the electorate will judge the governmental policies with objectivity and not with passion. Those governing will be criticised with respect to their ability and not their communal belonging. And if it is not satisfied with them, it can choose another party in the next elections without venerating a particular political dynasty. Therefore, a majority rule founded on reason will reject discrimination of all kinds, fashion positively the minds of people and enlighten society. 

But can we forget that there are some majorities in the world today root from dominant religions which repress half-hearted adherents and atheists as well as other faiths. History has shown how modern women in Iran not wearing the Chador were persecuted. In the ancient Christian world, witches were burnt  to death and heretics during the inquisition were persecuted. And we are all sure that it is not of recent knowledge that many young Hindu girls in Pakistan are still forced to convert to Islam. What is revolting is that religion should always be fundamentally personal.

The majority rule is illogical when a particular social strata having power assumes that only its members should be ministers and that others are incompetent. In countries like Russia and China, the minority rights tend to be ignored. 

In many ways, the majority imposes its ideologies on the minorities, providing services that suit the requirements of the majority solely. 

In India for instance, whilst the majority are against the Section 373 of law that criminalises homosexuality, it discriminates and oppresses the minority LGBT group. 

What truly 'plays it all' are the values and mindset of the majority. 

What is required is that the reason behind the majority rule must transcend all artificial barriers. 

The majority rule has to evolve from a mere quantitative to a drastically qualitative concept.

For this, faith has always resided in the transformative ability of mankind. 

Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt