Skip to main content

My Tata's Diary

My Grandad handed me over his 'diary' yesterday.
He said he wrote down some random words of wisdom from time to time every night he couldn't sleep. He added he had specifically done so with me in mind. 

As I read his words, it was a mixture of different emotions. I would laugh, then smile, then laugh again, then have tears brimming in my eyes, then laugh again. At times I would simply stare at one specific word and try to understand the depth of it.


Tata would have most probably never jotted down those lines. I had personally asked him that he ought to write something, write things so that he doesn't let his emotions, feelings, experiences, wisdom, knowledge and LIFE fade away into nothingness. My passion for writing takes its roots from this very quest: to be able to capture a moment's emotions and vibrancy so that I can either reflect on them later, or study the graph of my growth as a soul. Also I had much to share, to offer, to give to this beautiful world that surrounds me. 

And I know someone who is 6 times my age has more than what I have to give. And I couldn't let that go to waste. And mostly I wanted him to transmit his essence of life to us. I didn't want that to be washed away.

We barely have time today to bond, as grandchild and grandad and I can not bear letting my grandad's wisdom just go away. I needed him. I needed to hear his words. Not need, but more like.. Well, my grandad is a very important part of my life, I stayed at his place and him together with my grandma nursed me up till I became a toddler, perhaps a bit beyond that point even. So, naturally, the instinctive bond is there. 


But my grandad has been more than just my up-bringer. He has somehow been the one constantly being encouraging when it came to my school work. And I somehow used to be afraid of him because of that, more out of a fear to disappoint him. He's a great man. He came from an extremely poor family. You can imagine, back in the years 1940s, indentured labourers who came to Mauritius lived on sugar estates under pretty pathetic conditions. I remember my grandma retelling how shocked she was when she married my grandad and joined their family. They barely had clothes to wear, and their eating patterns were nothing sane. My grandad was the only one in the family who managed to go to school, and I don't forget how he describes walking for miles barefooted to make it to classes every morning, through the sugarcane fields. He eventually grew up, working hard, hard enough to make him the man he is today. Someone who had been able to climb up the social ladder, fending for his family in ways that I consider pretty luxurious.


Somewhere down the line, he's a constant reminder of how education is important and that I cannot let his lifelong struggles go to water by not being someone he would be more than just proud of. Hence the motivation. I'm not even scared of my dad when it comes to educational performance, but my Tata, he's a strict man, disciplined and strong-headed man. And I'm sincerely grateful for that.


As I had previously stepped into my puberty phase, our relationship had become quite strained, but I love the way it is today. Perhaps it's because I'm somehow big enough today for him to confide into me. Perhaps because I'm confident enough today to ask for things from my elders. Strong enough to challenge them to bring forth their emotions in our conversations. :)


I made my Dad even promise that he would write to me one day. But I know there's a long time to go for this one. Tata has definitely more time and I influence him more easily than my Dad. And trust me I do influence my Dad to a large extent in his decision-taking, now imagine how much I can have my Tata do things as I wish. Afterall, who initiated him to technology with all the other grandchildren? Who downloaded all his Kishore Kumar songs? Who massages his feet from time to time? Who-


He did so much more for all us though in return. 

And for that I'm honestly grateful.
I would write about it one day. Soon enough.
About everyone in my life. This I know I will. When? It's just a matter of time!

What I do know right now though is that, I'll get his diary published one day. The words in there should be read before any individual makes a decision in life. I felt they were that powerful and magnificent. :))


Until next time, much love.

Iam Aehr

Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt