Skip to main content

Malaysia in 15 hours | New Year's Eve

December 31, 2016 | Kuala Lumpur and Around
09:00 – 00:00

Fail tour operators that charge you hefty packets and most importantly, fail how little you think you can visit within a day without sleep.

All we needed to visit the whole of Kuala Lumpur and around was 15 hours, being in a group of 4 people, Uber and Grab and a traveler's spirit!

13 places checked in within 15 hours! Including shopping, lunching, and dining and a vast load of good humor with plenty of time available for rest and even getting back to the hotel for a pause, you are in for plenty of words of advice from us.

09:00 – 09:20
Kuan Ti Temple

This was our first stop as we hired a Uber to the Central Market. We had planned to make it to the Kuan Ti Temple and it came in front of our eyes without us actually expecting it to come up so soon. It's not different from a lot of other temples we've seen in South East Asia so far. However, it is strategically located and makes for a good touristic halt.


09:20 – 10:15
Sri Mahamariamman Temple
This one was a beautiful stop, being a mere 30 seconds away from the Kuan Ti Temple. I was in shorts and was required to wear a Kanjeevaram sarong before I could enter this South Indian inspired place of worship which is the oldest Hindu Temple in the whole of KL. I noticed that it was particularly find of the Ashwamedh Horses and the Shiv Parivaar as its wall depicted and screamed their statues and figurines. 
10:30 – 12:00

Petaling Street, Chinatown

12:15 – 12:45
Masjid Jamek
The Masjid Jamek was under reconstruction and we could not exactly absorbed fully its breathtaking architecture. Those of you who will have the opportunity to visit it when it is ready would have a marvelous piece of fine Mogul arts in the middle of an otherwise contemporary decor. 

12:45 – 13:15
Merdeka Square and St John's Church


This one reminded me of the Rashtrapati pathway of New Dehli. Perhaps because of the giant esplanade that was actually meant to be a road and of course because of the Mogul architecture again. It was a sheer feeling of warmth and estranged comfort to stand there and take in the view around. Mostly because, 2016's Kuala Lumpur is so crowded that it was hard to believe that there was a place in the heart of the Malaysian Capital where only birds flew.


We were happy larks when we stumbled into the St John's Church. We all exclaimed as to how we had mostly visited the world's most representative cultures' in terms of ethnicity places of worship in one single morning.

13:30 – 15:00
Hornbill Restaurant, National Bird Park
I am no big fan of visiting Zoos or bird parks and thanks to my friend, Oumika who found a a review of the Bird Park in KL as she was planning our itinerary the night before, we went to its restaurant instead. Hornbill Restaurant is perched at the top entrance and offers the view of the park. Having a fancy lunch there with birds randomly flying their way to your side and hearing the drizzling water paths underneath the balcony that supported us was an incredible feeling.


15:30 – 17:30
Batu Caves, Ramayana Caves
Kuala Lumpur is probably best represented by Batu Caves when it comes to the places of interest if has to offer. I have been to Batu Caves before, in 2010 and was not exactly excited to go there again. But we went again this time and trust me I didn't regret it! Why? Well!
This because, next to giant Vel Muruga you'll find a huge statue of Lord Hanuman next to which are the Ramayana Caves- which trust me are gorgeous. And I had much rather visit this one than climb up all the staircases of the Batu Caves to find utter hollowness. Pay 5 Ringgit and get in.

Don't think that I am biased here because of my tremendous love for Indian Mythology, but it surely is worth so much more. I tend to believe that tour operators have you climbing the stair cases so you are tired too soon to see other places of interest in a little amount of time. Nevertheless, we did also climb the stairs.


18:00 – 21:30
I-City, Shah Ahlam




Back in 2010, when I visited the I-City, City of Digital Lights with my family, it was not yet open to the public. Today still, it still has a free entrance with no passes needed. The only difference is that it is now complete and has been furnished with life and malls. It has also opened some fun rides, which are payable as you go along and buy a card that you have to top up with points.




22:30 – 00:00
Petronas Towers, KLCC
Although I-City does a firework show as well for the countdown, we decided to head to the Twin Towers and see the fireworks there. It was a huge, ranty mobilisation with locals humping with the Vuvuzelas, rallying with their motor bikes and cheering.
Additional:
Bukit Bintang, Sungei Wang Plaza, Pavillion, Suria






















Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt