Skip to main content

half girlfriend

When I picked up ‘half girlfriend’ during my trip in India, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was looking forward to such a story since long. A half relationship story. Mostly because such relationships are not very common in society at large but are in my entourage. I have myself probably at some point or the other been in a half relationship.

What the heck is a half relationship, you ask?


There exists a phenomenon which has plagued maturing hearts since at least the dawn of the internet age, but has certainly been problematic for many years prior, perhaps even since the day when cave people learned how to whistle at the attractive body parts of another.
I will call this phenomenon the “Half-Relationship.” It is half because it is almost always a romantic relationship that is defined by only one-half of the people involved.
The half-relationship is that long gradient between singlehood and partnership. Half-relationships range in definition from a mistaken one-night-stand, two friends with romantic complications (including but not limited to sex, kisses, awkwardly long hugs, sharing of deep secrets, occasional hand-holding, etc.), silent yet always-obvious crushes, and so on.
Still the question is: why? Why not just make the leap into definitional commitment? Perhaps it is a victim of language’s fallibility; no “label” could ever justify the unique relationship.
Imagine that stage between being best friends/ friends and becoming lovers. Imagine probably loving someone but still not wanting to make things official or take the next step? A half relationship is like being engaged but not married. A half relationship is like eating the donut without the icing. A half relationship is like introducing your special friend to your parents but not as ‘the one’. A half relationship is a serious, committed relationship with all the care, affection, and attention but with no fixed societal-guided agenda.  A half relationship has everything that a full relationship has except getting physical. A half relationship is really like a one-sided love story and a one-sided denial story. A half relationship is a relationship in private and not in public.

How does it feel being in a half relationship?

I think it helps one kind of satisfy one's cravings a bit, making one feel loved, having someone to cuddle and hug. And someone on whom to lie one's head to sleep and to talk till late night, and to bore with one's issues and someone to tolerate all one's tantrums. Yet you feel free because there are no obligations. You can call your half boyfriend, do things together, share everything. I would even go to the extent of saying flirting is allowed. It, however, depends on the relationship and the people involved in it. But I believe there is a risk to take, mostly because you are not sure if your half partner considers it just as a half relationship as you do. Conversation is vital. Staying together might turn into a habit, expectations may develop as well as the hope for a normal relationship to build in.  Believe it or not, at some point, at least, one of you will think about this. Anyway, I think it's a beautiful thing to try. You learn soo much ....fight soo much and have soo much fun!

-Joanna, 18 years old

At times, it is great simply because half girlfriend and half boyfriend mean that we are best friends at the base. Most of the time, we stay like crazy people. But it ends up badly. One gets attached to that relationship and the other moves on. 

-Nitin, 18 years old

If you ask me, I think that half isn’t bad. Some would say that it depends on how you look at it: half-empty or half-full. But the half that is ‘missing’ is pretty vital, though. For a relationship to be, it also has to not be.
-Shirley, 19 years old

My half relationship was officially a commitment, but the intensity and the feeling of having someone who got me superseded the lack of time together and all other red flags. My fantasy of what I wanted it to be slowly fell apart. I would seek out advice and everywhere I was told, “we were meant to be together.”
I hear these words from so many people who contact me. They look for psychic readings, books and other people to tell them it is okay to hope that this shitty situation has a silver lining. It can have a great outcome, but not in the way most of us think.
- Olive, 33 years old

Book and Upcoming Movie Teaser



Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt