Skip to main content

Married, mothered and widowed- from nobody to nobody, again.

-2012, After reading an Article on BBC as how Indian Brides were battered in some regions.


My eyes were puffy with a trace of wetness around the lids. I blinked back tears that suddenly threatened to overcome me. The news had obviously cast a gloom over the entire family. I have been moping around the house ever since he had committed suicide during a hit depression. Nothing anyone did could lift me out of my state of deep shock. In a single moment my fate had twisted; I had lost my husband, I had two mouths to feed and another was on the way. It would be the most difficult challenge in my life, but I knew I had to face it. How was I going to manage; only time could tell.

Grief, remorse and depression covered me like a thick choking blanket. I used to feel so wretched after being slapped and locked up by the monster. Ironically now that he is dead I should have been swelling with happiness, but my children’ dark future perturbed me. All the widow lamenting sessions were fun playing, I would simply curl my lips in a smile when I truly felt like bursting into laughter. But then again the same unanswered questions would burn endlessly in my mind, my inner voice would scream in silent anguish and betrayal as I would sink into the shadowed corners of the rooms, trying to hold my head in my hands whilst tears kept flowing: my daughters, what would happen to them? In this society where women are principally looked down upon and where the death of the husband is considered to be the in-auspiciousness of the wife, I preferred not to even look at the dimly lit alleys of the future. Coupled with a financial instability, I refrained from imagining all the atrocities that we would have to bear from my in-laws to whom we now are nothing else than a huge burden and stigma.

I was not unaware of my rights under the modern law but my low status, destitute and my daughters were my weaknesses. I was now seen as a bad woman; since it is a wife’s duty to keep her husband alive and I was dishonored since I am outliving him. During Teej, a Hindu festival where women fast and pray to Lord Shiva for the long life of their husbands, my family forced me to confine myself to my own room. They didn't want me to touch anything for puja, a process of offering to God. I felt like as if I was suffering from some transferable disease. I was told to only wear white clothes, eat only once a day and was forbidden to wear cultural tokens like the red powder that is put on the forehead of married Hindu women, and bangles. I was made to suffer both shame and guilt and my sister-in-laws would always taunt me while my mother herself told me that the reason for my widowhood was the sins of my past life. We were shunned from community activities, gatherings or festivities. My daughters would be reprimanded for everything they did and were made to feel even more inferior in contrast to earlier times just because they could not be heirs to the palace. Unable to bear the perennial tortures, I finally decided to sell my jewellery and under the dark sky as lightning struck and thunder rumbled, I escaped away from the gallows with my progenitures.

I had already faced the suffocation put forward by my own family and society, now it was somehow time to try to start afresh. Today, I stand in a hair saloon. In the misty pair of dark spheres of my eldest daughter now far away from the chastisements, I can see her dismay and disappointment of seeing her mother who once used to be the decked up by others who would cherish her, having to take care of the tresses of unknown strangers. Her mother might have been battered by her husband, but she used to exude a halo of happiness that she easily extended to others; she vibrated with life. Her greatest challenge was indeed to see the people who crowned her metamorphose, to accept judgements, critics and punishments despite being rebellious by nature and to have moved away from the land she had vowed to die in.

Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt