Skip to main content

13 Ways to Say Bye to Homesickness | #SingaporeSignatures

“It's a kindness that the mind can go where it wishes.” 

― Ovid, The Poems of Exile: Tristia and the Black Sea Letters

*   *   *

Hello, Gorgeous People!

I know that it's been a while since you last heard from me and a lot of people have been wondering if I actually managed to get myself so engaged that I would let go of one of my favorite 
activities: blogging.

Well, to be entirely honest, perhaps taking care of myself has simply been one wooing excuse on my behalf to apologize about my absences in various aspects of my life. What has been really up is a lack of time spent with my Self, with me sitting down and recording my thought processes.

Anyway, let's bridge the gap between words and actions and get going with what this post was meant to be all about.


*   *   *



I just thought it had be great writing a post on this. Trust me, this won't include an option where you have to Skype with the folks everyday. Having been in Singapore for the past 3.5 months, I can count on my fingers the number of times I actually Skyped back home. Be rest assured, the list I have come up with is inspired by independence and detachment. I'm hoping this helps future international students.

1. Bring some typical local food snacks.
Just do. Food is one of the things that instantly makes you feel at home. Besides, if you are moving to a country where the snacks are too raw and not as per your taste you might have a sense of hostility that the new place is trying to throw at you. And a hungry stomach breeds anger, you don't want to go in that zone.

2. Toss in some of your own local insta-noodles.
As stupid as that may sound, instant noodles are not the same everywhere. If you come to Singapore, you definitely won't find Mauritian Apollo noodles- forget finding the yellow curry flavour now. They have things that vary from Maggi to cup noodles like Myojo. And these are relatively more processed and bland. It does not weight much, fill your luggage with a few packets of those lovelies.

3. Get one of those 'I love Mauritius' T-shirts.
Yes, get one of them or them. This not only because most international college campuses request students to get but because it's easier that way to introduce yourself and have people remember you. I still have a few friends, mostly Egyptians who call me 'Mauritius' even though they might know your name. It's almost like a brief corridor banter. 

4. Be around people. Constantly.
Surround yourself with people so that you don't find yourself alone thinking outwardly things. You are away from home, a niche where you probably would always have people to talk to. Talking to people and meeting new people also keeps your mind off feeling something may be amiss. So just do it.

5. Go out, don't stay in your room.
You are in a new place for goodness sake. Get out. Discover. Explore.
It grabs your attention and new things make you look forward to the future and present and not think about the past.

6. Get used to your surroundings as quickly as possible.
We had explored and gotten lost in Singapore within the first two days we landed in the foreign land. And it helped build more confidence about moving around on our own as well as have as acquainted with the systems of functionings here as quickly as possible, for example, the cashless EZ-Link card that helps you pay your MRT fare, bus fare, fast food, withdraw money at once. In so doing, you feel more rooted with the place and don't get much time to compare the other high positives of what you may be used to back home. Thus, you adapt to the system as soon as possible and don't miss the one back home.

7. Bring your own morning and night routine products.
Just do. Your own toothpaste. Your own beauty products. Your own shaving blades. These personal hygiene products have their own intimate relationship with you in terms of compatibility and taste and you may really not adapt to the ones in the new land. So carry your basic essentials that you are used to.

8. Keep yourself busy.
Yes, busy yourself with understanding the train map, the bus routes, finding the correct directions with the diverse apps out there. Find out the food hot spots. Unpack. Chat with casual people back home. Do some work. Complete assignments. Occupy your time. Take up a part time job even if you don't need to. Simply, fill all the blank spaces in your schedule with an activity. Sleeping and day dreaming are activities too. Don't worry.

9. Keep reminding yourself why you chose to be abroad.
It's a very vital practice to do that. Reminding yourself of a choice you made on your own keeps you motivated and willing to keep moving without caving in to pessimistic feelings. Rekindle the higher purposes for which you left your homeland by being goal-oriented.

10. Celebrate your National Identity.
You heard it right! Ever since I came to Singapore, my Mauritian crew and I have been getting remarks like: "You are great ambassadors for your country", "You are all a really nice gang". It's important that you be proud of where you come from and spread the message of the beauty of your origins. It makes you feel connected to home despite being away from it. Ask any other nationality on my campus, by now they must all have been steamed out with all the islanders' talks we pounce on them with.

11. Stay Positive.
Keep good faith, spirituality and only good stress. Be quick to eliminate anything you feel is bringing you down or is being toxic. Strive to be optimistic. And mind you, being optimistic is not at all about lying to yourself or endorsing some fancy quotes. It's about an attitude that you develop. As a person going global, optimism is one trait you'll soon understand you are bound to develop if you want to survive here.

12. Keep Healthy.
Hydrate. Exercise. Despite all the junk food. And be extra careful. Careful with those muscles, ligaments and bones. Why? Because you don't want to go with the stress of paying a fortune on foreign health care or missing any 'good old Mom's soup' while you are recovering in bed. Simply try your best to be fit. Also, it's good to be equipped with your own set of medication from home.

13. Time flies. So sit back and relax!
Time really does fly. It's been 4 months already that I am in Singapore now and when I look back and think, I wonder where 120 days elapsed. Time keeps moving. It's the eternal truth. So don't worry about being constantly where you are. 

*  *  *

Above all, you need to understand that despite the way it's coined, homesickness isn't necessarily about home. And neither is it exactly an illness. Instead, it stems from our instinctive need for love, protection and security -- feelings and qualities usually associated with home. (Josh Klapow, Clinical Psychologist and Associate Professor at the University of Alabama's School of Public Health)

When these qualities aren't present in a new environment, we begin to long for them -- and hence home. "You're not literally just missing your house. You're missing what's normal, what is routine, the larger sense of social space, because those are the things that help us survive. 

It's merely an emotion that comes in waves. It's normal and adaptive to feel homesick for some period of time. It's just your emotions and mind telling you you're out of your element.

Oh! And as a Bonus!

14. Don't stop speaking your native language!
Instead, spread it even if we all know that the first words young adults teach to their new international friends go beyon greetings and start with swear words. Keep speaking it your own language even if you are the only one understanding it on campus. It's important. More than you may think. :)

I hope that this helps us all,
It feels good getting back to writing.

All the love,
Merry Christmas! 

Iam, xoxo.

Popular posts from this blog

If a guy stares at you for a long time while smiling does he like you?

There's this guy at my work who I've been starting to get to know better, and I've noticed that every time he sees me he always gets this big smile on his face and he stares at me all the time. He has this look in his eyes that I can't really explain but it seems like he's fascinated or dreamy. Plus I'll be doing something and I'll look over at him and catch him looking right over at me, and he just smiles and I smile back. Today as he was leaving work I saw him from a distance but I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to shout across the parking lot, and he just developed this big smile while looking right at me, and I couldn't help but smile too. Then he came over and we talked a little before he left (he seemed nervous and he's kind of dorky, but I think it's cute) I don't know, I just feel like he stares at me just a little longer than any other person. I was wondering if this could mean he likes me?

Comparing the lifestyles of celebrities and ordinary people

Disney’s TV Show Hannah Montana depicts the female protagonist’s choice of leading an ordinary life despite being a celebrity. The show fluidly walks us through the distinct lifestyles of a celebrity and that of an ordinary person in terms of their set of values, ways of life, activities and attitudes. Whether celebrities and ordinary people are truly different would require a close diagnostic. The first thing that comes to mind when discussing celebrity and common man’s lifestyles is luxury . From the sports industry to the entertainment industry, from politicians to business tycoons, the mantra “if you’ve got it, flaunt it” seems to be painted all over the walls that frame celebrity life. Because of the power and extraordinary amount of wealth they have, celebrities live a life that the normal man can only dream of. For instance, with real-estate assets worth more than just a few million dollars across the world, celebrities have better vacation options than an ordinary

Because being honest and being frank are two poles apart!

   *I have been meaning to write this since 3 weeks now.* I wonder why people take it for granted that they can do anything to you and say anything to you! Honestly, how can people be that honest?! I don't get it! Now, just so that I get over this- we had rather just start! , I think that each one of us has been frank at least once in our life!  Frankness broadcasts itself as a means for people to soothe their inability to contain their comments.  Because want it or not- Frankness in comparison to honesty is a bad thing. Basically because being frank hurts the object and makes the subject feel good, whilst honesty-well honesty is good for both! Being frank is a stupendo fantabulously fantastic thing for many of us. It's been for me. Mainly because it allowed me to believe that I existed and it made me feel good- it made me feel good because I could put my opinions forward. But to be honest, I don't it's been the best thing to do!  Frankness hurt